HELLO!

Welcome to Covington Creek Candle Company! I'm so glad you stopped in for a visit. I'm committed to creating a stable lifestyle by self sufficiency. Prices are going to keep going up. Food recalls are increasing. I don't know about you but I like to know how my food was grown and that I'm the one that canned it. I want to help everyone become more self sufficient whether you live in a apartment, the burbs, a acre or two or more. Of course we can't do everything but I think you will be amazed at how much control you can have.

My home business now includes quilted items and rustic home crafts in addition to creating the best and healthiest cold process soap, 100% pure soy candles, bees wax candles and natural/organic salves and lip balm as possible. Many say I have the best Fort Wayne handcrafted soap, salves and candles. I still haven't found the right place to open a brick and mortar store so www.covingtoncreekcandles.com will have the cold process soap rotating. But email me if there is a special item you are looking for and I will do my best to create it. I am all about customer satisfaction. I am continuing to look for a few acres to grow my own ingredients and move the shop part out of my home and into a separate building.

I am trying to help make this a greener and healthier place to live. We can do this thru more self sufficiency and preparedness. I would love for you to come along on my journey because that is what life is - a journey. If there is a subject you would like more information on let me know at covingtoncreekcandles@comcast.net

Shop Now: www.covingtoncreekcandles.com or join me at my Etsy store www.etsy.com/shop/CovingtonCreekCandle.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Why you should can your own food

I grew up around canning so it was a natural that I would continue the practice as an adult.  I grow most of the veggies I can or at least know the people I get fruit from so I have an idea of what is put on it in the way of fertilizers, bug control, ect.  In this day an age you can't be to careful about knowing what you are putting in your body.  While at work we were talking about canning on break (I was amazed at the number of my coworkers that do can).  One thing I did bring up besides how fresh the veggies and fruit taste compared to store bought cans was that I can control what goes into it.  The amount of sugar, salt, etc.  I cut the amount of salt that goes into the pickles or can the peaches with very little sugar, I add no sugar to my applesauce.  All taste great.  One thing not to change is the amount of vinegar, citric acid or the time and pressure needed in the pressure canner or boiling water bath.  These need to be maintained to prevent spoilage.

Living in northeast Indiana, Ball jars and recipes have been imbedded into our beings.  They orignated in Muncie, Indiana but are now owned by the Jarden Corporation and still made in the United States - a huge plus.  I love going to their website for new receipes.  http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes.aspx
My new fav is British Bread and Butter Pickles with ginger, brown sugar instead of white and apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. Yummmmy!
There is nothing like coming home from a 12 hour day and opening up one of MY home canned veggie soups. 

Take a peak at the fresh preserving site - there are hundreds of recipes.  I think you will like it.


www.covingtoncreekcandles.com www.covingtoncreekcandle.etsy.com http://www.facebook.com/covingtoncreekcandles http://www.twitter.com/CCCandleCo