HELLO!

Welcome to Covington Creek Candle Company! I'm so glad you stopped in for a visit. I'm committed to creating a stable lifestyle by self sufficiency. Prices are going to keep going up. Food recalls are increasing. I don't know about you but I like to know how my food was grown and that I'm the one that canned it. I want to help everyone become more self sufficient whether you live in a apartment, the burbs, a acre or two or more. Of course we can't do everything but I think you will be amazed at how much control you can have.

My home business now includes quilted items and rustic home crafts in addition to creating the best and healthiest cold process soap, 100% pure soy candles, bees wax candles and natural/organic salves and lip balm as possible. Many say I have the best Fort Wayne handcrafted soap, salves and candles. I still haven't found the right place to open a brick and mortar store so www.covingtoncreekcandles.com will have the cold process soap rotating. But email me if there is a special item you are looking for and I will do my best to create it. I am all about customer satisfaction. I am continuing to look for a few acres to grow my own ingredients and move the shop part out of my home and into a separate building.

I am trying to help make this a greener and healthier place to live. We can do this thru more self sufficiency and preparedness. I would love for you to come along on my journey because that is what life is - a journey. If there is a subject you would like more information on let me know at covingtoncreekcandles@comcast.net

Shop Now: www.covingtoncreekcandles.com or join me at my Etsy store www.etsy.com/shop/CovingtonCreekCandle.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Grape Meatballs

About 30 years ago a boss (Henry Carter) brought in this dish for a carry in called "Grape Meatballs"  Sounded terrible but in all honesty it was a delicious dish.  One that I started making and still get constantly have it requested for carry ins.    With the upcoming holiday season it is quick and easy to make.  I prefer to make the meatballs from scratch but in a pinch I do use store bought meatballs.  It is worth the effort to have all meat and not the kind with soybean mixed in.  If you're not sure at the store ask someone in that department.  You need a little fat to make this dish taste outstanding so don't buy the leanest ground meat - never did I think I would be saying that :-)  Get the next leanest meat.  I have made these with ground turkey or ground beef.  I haven't tried it with ground pork yet but that could be a option.  To make it more holiday you can sub cranberry jelly for the grape jelly in the same amount.  Peach would be a good summer alternative. 

Here's the recipe - let me know what you think.  I usually double the recipes.  I haven't been able to find this recipe anywhere else on the net so you may be getting a one of a kind recipe.  Enjoy!

                                                                   GRAPE MEATBALLS

Meatballs
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste (I usually leave the salt out)

Mix beef, onion, salt and black pepper.  Form into 1/2 inch to 1 inch meatballs and brown in a skillet. Do not over cook - just brown them.  Place them either in a crockpot or in a cookie sheet.

Sauce
1/4 cup grape jelly
12  oz. Chili Sauce (I'm not a name brand recommender but I do like Heinz the best for this dish)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and heat until brown sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.  Do not let come to a boil. 

Once brown sugar has dissolved place the meatballs either in a crockpot or on a cookie sheet.  Pour the sauce over the meatballs.

If on a cookie sheet bake at 375F for 20 to 30 minutes.  Take out and let cool a little before serving.

If in a crockpot (I do it this way) let cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  I can let it cook overnight and have it ready to take in the morning.

These meatballs are also great to freeze.  They don't loose the taste.  Just don't leave them in long enough and have freezer burn occur.  You won't like them after that happen.